Barcelona and Actual Madrid ace, ex-player Figo will get documentary on Netflix
- August 21, 2022
- No Comment
Production will be launched next Thursday, 25, and will address precisely the controversial transfer between the Spanish rivals
Considered one of the great players of the 90s and 2000s, former player Luís Figo will win a documentary series on Netflix, which will be released on the 25th of this month, to tell precisely about the controversial transfer from Barcelona to rival Real Madrid.
“The Figo Case: The Transfer that Changed Football”, explains one of the most controversial transactions in the history of football, with reports by the Portuguese himself and also by important characters in the history of both clubs, such as Joan Gaspart, president of Barcelona at the time, and Florentino Pérez, current president of Real Madrid and who was also the Merengue representative in that negotiation.
“Many people spoke without knowing anything about the transfer, but the real story, who has it is me, because I am the protagonist”, said Figo.
With more than 30 hours of production, the narrative details the five years of heyday that Figo lived at Barcelona until his transfer to rivals Real Madrid, where he stayed for another five years. The Madrid team, at the time, decided to pay the millionaire termination clause of the Portuguese ace.
With more than 20 years of career and passages also by Sporting-POR and Internazionale-ITA, he retired in May 2009. He represented the Portuguese national team in 127 matches and is only behind Cristiano Ronaldo in number of games.
Elected best player in the world by FIFA in 2001 – he had been third the previous year – he joins other world football stars in winning a series, such as Neymar, Cristiano Ronaldo, Romário, Maradona, Simeone, Roberto Baggio, Ronaldinho Gaúcho, Adriano Emperor, among others.
Among the platforms that are investing heavily and seeking to bring original content aimed at sports, is HBO MAX, which should launch in the coming months the series divided into six episodes, directed by Bruno Maia, and which delves into the history of former striker’s life. For Maia, original sports content is here to stay.
Bruno Maia, CEO of Feel The Match and specialist in innovation and new technologies in sport, is currently one of the main references and one of the biggest advocates of so-called ‘original’ content.
He is the director and producer of the series ‘Romário, O Cara’, which should be released in the coming months by HBO Max, and has recently participated in the entire production of the series ‘Nos Armários do Vestiário’, launched by Globoplay/GE in conjunction with Feel The Match, which tells stories and brings testimonials from former athletes, judges and professionals about homophobia and prejudice in sports.
“It is no longer a trend, but reality. Just look at the enormity of media and communication groups from all over the planet launching their own platforms on the market, increasing competitiveness and the demand for original content. We are talking to a generation of consumers who consume content whenever and wherever they want, and the interest in productions that tell stories and behind the scenes is increasing. The release of films and documentaries involving great athletes as brands bigger than their own teams changes the market scenario”, says the executive.
“Feel The Match came about more or less with this idea. With the arrival of streaming, greater diversity and the fragmentation of attention, we live in a period where niches are increasingly strong. This brings the public a great deal of personalization in the way they consume what they want to see, when and where they want to”, completes Maia.